FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Estimator
Revised: June 2021
The Assistant Estimator works under the Lead Estimator providing document control, quantities for estimation and assists the Lead Estimator as needed, ensuring that we have the information required for a successful bid and project win. They are involved from the beginning of a project through to completion. The Assistant Estimator will work closely with the Lead Estimator, Subcontractors and Project team to ensure bidding timelines and requirements are met.
The position is part of an estimating team who works closely with the construction teams and delivers successful and reliable bids. The Assistant Estimator helps build client relationships that keep Pence/Kelly Concrete at the forefront of the concrete contractor industry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and in a timely manner. The following duties are representative of the job but are not all inclusive and other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Assist with development of accurate and concise budget clarifications and assumptions related to the scope of work.
- Assist with pre-construction services including preliminary budgets, cost analysis, value engineering ideas and cost reduction techniques.
- Perform quantity take off.
- Use Sage Precision (Timberline Estimating), On-Screen Take-off, as well as Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications for estimating projects.
- Assist with submission of bids and budgets by the bid deadline.
- Prepares trade specific scopes and subcontractor bid packages and analyze bids.
- Assist with soliciting and maintaining communication with subcontractors and vendors.
- Follow directions / training provided by Lead Estimator.
- Works independently on projects and with other team members.
- Organize the work, plan, prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Communicate effectively in writing and verbally with team and others involved in the estimating process.
- May assist in purchasing or buy-out duties.
- Attend project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform the job but are not all inclusive.
- High School Diploma required
- Construction/Estimating experience helpful but not required
- Excellent math proficiency and spatial skills required.
- Computer literate with excellent MS Excel, MS Outlook skills
- Intermediate computer skills required.
- Sage Precision – Timberline Estimating, On Screen Take off, Bluebeam and Revit skills preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Can work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
Works in a typical office environment and is required to lift 15 to 25 lbs regularly. May occasionally be on a job site where work is done in a job trailer or outside in a construction environment. May be exposed to weather, dirt/dust, loud noise, and may be required to wear personal protective equipment. Must be able to work for long periods of time in front of a computer.
Our philosophy is simple. The foundation of our success is rooted in the skills and talents of our people and their commitment to who we are. Pence lives by a set of values and we look to our employees to keep those values in everything they do. On your first day at Pence, you will learn about those values and how we live them straight from our owners.
Founded in 1949 by Dale Pence, in Salem Ore., Pence Construction has been passionate about building with integrity and quality for decades. With many long-standing client relationships and lengthy employee tenure, Pence is a trusted partner to our clients.
Formerly known as LCG Pence, Pence is owned by Paul Schulz and Dave Hays. With more than 150 employees currently, Pence serves a wide variety of clients from senior living, education, multi family housing, office, and more. We are looking for talented and value-oriented people to join us.