The Estimator evaluates bid documents, drawings, plans, and specifications, ensuring that we have the information required for a successful bid and project win. The Estimator will work effectively with the Design Team, General Contractor, Subcontractors and Project Team to ensure bidding timelines are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and in a timely manner. The following duties are representative of the job but are not all inclusive and other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Understand and evaluate all bid documents and proposal requirements.
- Have a complete understanding of drawings, plans, specifications, scopes of work, and other necessary construction documents to ensure a complete and thorough estimate.
- Attend project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
- Compile an organized, accurate, concise takeoff and estimate.
- Perform a constructability review in partnership with project teams.
- Perform specification review and identify cost for materials and processes specified.
- Perform project schedule review, identifying key risks within the schedule i.e. long lead procurement items, etc.
- Prepares trade specific scopes and subcontractor bid packages and analyze bids.
- Ensure all documents required for full bid proposal are obtained, including project insurances and builder’s risk and bonds.
- Development of accurate and concise bid clarifications and assumptions related to the scope of work.
- Develop and prepare conceptual estimates with minimal subcontractor assistance using limited preliminary design documents/information.
- Qualify and level subcontractors’ proposals according to project specifics
- Show creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors.
- Organize the work, plan, prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Assist with pre-construction services including preliminary budgets, cost analysis, value engineering ideas and cost reduction techniques.
- Submission of bids and budgets by the bid deadline.
- Solicit and maintain communication with subcontractors and vendors.
- Consistently follows up on submitted bids and budgets with Architect and/or Project Managers
- Work independently on projects and with other team members.
- Communicate effectively in writing and verbally with team and others involved in the estimating process.
- Partner with project teams to ensure project start up requirements are met.
- Turns over bid documents and subcontractor buyouts to the project team.
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform the job but are not all inclusive.
- BS in Construction Engineering Management or equivalent, ASPE membership/certification preferred
- At least 5 years of estimating experience in the construction industry
- Exceptional conceptual estimating skills
- Ability to estimate all divisions in detail
- Working knowledge of MEP trades
- Strong skills with estimating software programs (i.e. Sage Precisions, OnScreen Take off as well as scheduling software a Microsoft Project).
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Exceptional communication & interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work both as a team player and independently
- Must be able to work in a timely and efficient manner with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Excellent organizational & time management skills
Works primarily in an office environment but may occasionally be required to visit job sites where work is done outside or in a construction environment. May be exposed to weather, dirt/dust, loud noise, and may be required to wear personal protective equipment. Employee must be able to lift 10 lbs regularly and 25 lbs occasionally. Regular attendance is required to perform the job satisfactorily.
Our philosophy is simple. The foundation of our success is rooted in the skills and talents of our people and their commitment to who we are. Pence lives by a set of values and we look to our employees to keep those values in everything they do. On your first day at Pence, you will learn about those values and how we live them straight from our owners.
Founded in 1949 by Dale Pence, in Salem Ore., Pence Construction has been passionate about building with integrity and quality for decades. With many long-standing client relationships and lengthy employee tenure, Pence is a trusted partner to our clients.
Formerly known as LCG Pence, Pence is owned by Paul Schulz and Dave Hays. With more than 150 employees currently, Pence serves a wide variety of clients from senior living, education, multi family housing, office, and more. We are looking for talented and value-oriented people to join us.