The Payroll Manager is responsible for planning, directing and overseeing the payroll function to assure the timely and accurate processing of union and non-union payroll for all companies. The Payroll Manager is responsible for all aspects of the payroll process including but not limited to year-end processing, paying payroll taxes, monthly reporting, and reconciliation for all Pence entities.
- Act as a steward of Pence culture – Who We Are
- Uphold and communicate Pence safety standards
- Proactive, self-starting, self-managing
- Takes ownership for the effective operation of all aspects of payroll
- Behaves in a manner that sets a positive example for others to follow
- Makes day to day decisions that enhance profitability without sacrificing our values or relationships
- Grow and mentor payroll staff
- Responsible for mitigating and reporting risks to the company
- Follow all policies and procedures and assure others do as well
- Participates in meetings and committees
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, in a timely manner and with the ability to make decisions independently. The following duties are representative of the job but are not all inclusive and other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Provide direction, education and support to payroll staff
- Stay current on labor legislation and ensure ongoing compliance with all payroll and tax laws
- Oversee twice weekly, in-house payroll runs for union and non-union employees (including certified payroll, as applicable)
- Manage payroll discrepancies quickly and efficiently
- Responsible for monthly reporting requirements including local, state and federal payroll taxes, workers compensation, and union
- Review processes and implement improvements to enhance the efficiency and accuracy of the payroll team
- Work with general ledger team to ensure payroll liability accounts are reconciled monthly
- Responsible for maintenance of updates to compensation and deductions in the payroll module
- Ensure timely and accurate issuance of W-2s
- Coordinate external audits
- Partner with HR to maintain retirement plan compliance, including assistance with the annual census and audit
- Partner with software company to ensure changes and updates are working accurately
- Assist Controller with various projects as needed
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform the job but are not all inclusive.
- 5 years construction industry in-house payroll experience preferred
- Proven experience as a payroll manager
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment
- Experience with construction software preferred (ideally CMIC)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and completes quality work in a timely manner
- Ability to evaluate and respond to challenging customer situations
- Can work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Evidence of the ability to practice a high level of confidentiality
- Exercise independent judgement within defined parameters
Normally works in a typical office environment but may occasionally be required to visit job sites where work is done outside in a construction environment. May be exposed to weather, dirt/dust, loud noise, and may be required to wear personal protective equipment. Must be able to work for long periods of time in front of a computer. Regular attendance is required to perform the job satisfactorily.
Our philosophy is simple. The foundation of our success is rooted in the skills and talents of our people and their commitment to who we are. Pence lives by a set of values and we look to our employees to keep those values in everything they do. On your first day at Pence, you will learn about those values and how we live them straight from our owners.
Founded in 1949 by Dale Pence, in Salem Ore., Pence Construction has been passionate about building with integrity and quality for decades. With many long-standing client relationships and lengthy employee tenure, Pence is a trusted partner to our clients.
Formerly known as LCG Pence, Pence is owned by Paul Schulz and Dave Hays. With more than 150 employees currently, Pence serves a wide variety of clients from senior living, education, multi family housing, office, and more. We are looking for talented and value-oriented people to join us.