As a Senior Systems Engineer, you ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of information systems and devices that support core organizational functions. The Senior Systems Engineer is a true IT operations leader-contributor role and is expected to have broad IT systems administration expertise to effectively lead in the design, implementation and maintenance of Pence’s heavily cloud-based hosting systems & applications (particularly Azure and M365), and contribute to security, network and device strategies and support. Pence is in the process of transforming IT for the digital future and this role will be pivotal in that strategy. The Senior Systems Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues to maximize the business outcome of IT systems investments. May ultimately have direct reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and in a timely manner. The following duties are representative of the job but are not all inclusive and other duties may be assigned as needed.
· Act as a steward of Pence culture – Who We Are
· Uphold and communicate Pence safety standards
· Proactive, self-starting, self-managing
· Takes ownership for the project
· Behaves in a manner that sets a positive example for others to follow
· Makes day-to-day decisions that enhance profitability without sacrificing our values or relationships
· Lead, grow and mentor staff
· Responsible for mitigating and reporting project risk
· Follow all policies and procedures and assure others do as well
· Participates in meetings and committees
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborate with IT staff & contractors to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software, systems and devices for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Work with the Director of IT, decision-makers, managed service providers and stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems issues, all in alignment with IT industry best practices, standards and frameworks.
- Leverage portfolio, project and demand management knowledge and tools to effectively manage operations team workload and stakeholder expectations utilizing Agile and DevOps methodologies.
- Keeps abreast of industry trends and advancements and provides as input into IT strategy, as appropriate.
Acquisition, Development, & Deployment
- Design and deploy new applications and enhancements to existing applications, software, and operating systems, including business automation’s and other solutions leveraging M365, Power Platform and other available tools, platforms and systems.
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed systems to aid management in making implementation decisions.
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure system-related products and services.
- Adhere to standard IT requirements gathering, solution design, testing (including user acceptance) and deployment processes and practices.
- Ensure solutions address all applicable security best practices and operational/support requirements and that designs keep technical/operational debt burdens to a minimum.
- Responsible for the effective administration of systems as assigned.
- Provide Tier 2/3 support for incidents and problems across the enterprise as assigned.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems, including automation’s.
- Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and for communication with others.
- Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
- Integrate cloud services and their associated software into enterprise systems.
- Ensure system connectivity of all cloud services, servers, shared software, and other applications. Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems.
- Manage contracts, vendors and service-providers as assigned.
- Provide orientation and training to other IT members and end-users for all modified and new systems & solutions.
- Develop training plans to ensure the professional and technical development of staff members in order to stay abreast of changes and new developments in IT.
- Prepare or produce reports and documentation as requested by management.
- Provide guidance and assign tasks to System Engineers and Service Reps.
- Following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform the job but are not all inclusive.
· Education – 4-year degree, mid/senior level certifications, or equivalent experience.
· 3-5 years systems engineering experience, with minimum one year at the senior level.
· Broad information systems, network & security, IT operations, tools & device knowledge.
· Specializations in cloud engineering & security, Office365, and Active Directory required; Service Management and Power Platform admin experience desirable.
· Expertise in IT industry technology and process best practices.
· Demonstrated technical and team leadership ability.
· Savvy problem solving & analytical capabilities.
· Diligent project management & work planning.
· Strong focus, attention-to-detail and organizational prowess.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· High degree of credibility and ability to persuade and manage expectations.
· Ability to manage multiple & frequently shifting priorities.
· Ability to aptly translate business requirements into technical solutions.
· Effective vendor management.
· Committed to exceptional service and quality delivery (customer experience).
Normally works in a typical office environment but may occasionally be required to visit job sites where work is done outside in a construction environment. May be exposed to weather, dirt/dust, loud noise, and may be required to wear personal protective equipment. Must be able to work for long periods of time in front of a computer. Required to lift 25lbs regularly and 50lbs occasionally. Regular attendance is required to perform the job satisfactorily.
Our philosophy is simple. The foundation of our success is rooted in the skills and talents of our people and their commitment to who we are. Pence lives by a set of values and we look to our employees to keep those values in everything they do. On your first day at Pence, you will learn about those values and how we live them straight from our owners.
Founded in 1949 by Dale Pence, in Salem Ore., Pence Construction has been passionate about building with integrity and quality for decades. With many long-standing client relationships and lengthy employee tenure, Pence is a trusted partner to our clients.
Formerly known as LCG Pence, Pence is owned by Paul Schulz and Dave Hays. With more than 150 employees currently, Pence serves a wide variety of clients from senior living, education, multi family housing, office, and more. We are looking for talented and value-oriented people to join us.